First, if you'll do me a favor and notice the stats at the top, of which I am just enormously, struttingly, peacock level proud. Thirty pounds in three months! I confess I feel like I'm Wonderwoman today. Or maybe that's Portuguesewashwonderwoman. Whatever, it's all good!
Of course, I am not noticing that this new number means I have only lost a pound in the past two weeks. Considering the amount of damage I have done at family picnics and birthdays, not to mention the sheer amount of hummus and falafel I've consumed since Sis and BIL moved here, one pound down is flat astounding. So I'm proud. Yay me!
But since I'm more of a 'glass half empty' type when it comes to my size, I am wondering how in the hell I can be under 200 by the end of the month. That's the week I'm going to the beach with assorted family and friends and I would love to have that number under me rather than hanging over my head. But I suppose in the long run it doesn't matter.
And speaking of runs - I'm champing at the bit to get out running tonight, and the very thought that I can say that without having my nose grow is astounding to me. I mean, I am really, really enjoying my runs! Me! The girl who finished last at every cross country race in high school, and who resigned herself to a life as a slug who sat in front of the computer all day. And since I am loving running so much, it makes me wonder what other atheltic adventures I might like or actually be able to do. Like kayaking, which I've always thought looked fun, or hiking, or cycling. Things that I assumed were designed for people who were fundamentally different that me but which now seem like a bright possibility that I don't want to look closely at, lest they disappear.
And maybe that's silly, but my whole person has been tied up in being a rather introverted, overweight, literate person who would rather take a nap than trek the Himalayas, or read a book than raft a river. And for so long I thought those two things could not occupy space in the heart of the same person. Like mathematic genius and an ability to write. Sure, okay, Hemingway was pretty athletic, and Pam Houston is my hero, but I still think of her as being ... not quite an ordinary writer. But all of the sudden the horizon has stretched, and as I grow stronger I find myself waiting for the Next Good Thing, which I know is out there.
I've also thought a lot about my Reward at the end of this immediate journey. I think Weight Loss ends when you get to your 'goal' but I think good health is a process. Still, I'd love to reward myself with something, and I want it to be something that celebrates my health and ability and the strength of my body and character, rather than being something that celebrates what I look like. So I'm thinking about a Trek Trip. I would love to have some friends to take along, however, though I've always been good at traveling alone. Still, I think this looks like just the kind of thing I want to try.
If anyone has any other good suggestions I'm open to them! In the meantime I'm off to eat some yogurt (with pecans and flax meal mixed in. Yum!) and watch some more of the breaking news from London.
Thursday, July 07, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment