I'm a very goal-oriented runner and dieter. Without a set date, or number, I will happily flounder around the same weight or mileage for weeks or even months. Which is why I'm forever making goals and plans for the future. This week is no exception. After the 5K, I sat down and took a hard look at my calendar and got a little freaked out. The 8K is in Richmond on the weekend of November 12th, and after that I have no plans at all. This is particularly dangerous for me, since winter is my annual season of "will you have another pumpkin muffin, Renee? Why yes, Renee, what a spendid idea!" and "please pass the macaroni and cheese." I can't be left to my own devices over a long, cold winter unless I want to gain back the 40 pounds I've lost this year, and call me crazy, but I have no desire to do that. According to my weight chart for last year, I put on *twelve pounds* in five weeks over Christmas. Seriously, me and food? Like this :::crosses fingers:::
So I sat down and determined that next April I will run a half marathon. 13 miles. Me, the girl who hid under the bleachers and read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" during the long runs in gym class (asthma) and finished last in every cross country event in high school. I am just throwing my goal out into the universe in hopes that by just having the unmitigated temerity to say that out loud I'll be forced to train rather than have to confess failure. (Shame as a training incentive! I wonder why nobody wants me as a personal trainer? *g*)
There are two halves that I'm considering: St. Louis and Charlottesville. St. Louis has the bonus of being relatively flat, and my dear friend lives there so I'll have a place to stay. Charlottesville has the distinction of being a terrifically beautiful course, which appeals to me, but I've heard its hilly so I'll probably go with St. Louis. I fully intend to go ahead and register for one of these by the end of the week, just so I'm locked in and can't "forget" (ha!) or back out.
And with that decision made, it's back to a really strict diet for me. Losing weight is the one thing that I can tell makes a discernable difference in the way I run, and I would like to finish losing weight before the half. Ideally I'd like to lose another 30 pounds by mid January, when I'll turn 30, but I think that's pushing it - especially over the holiday season. (mmm, pie). Still, 30 pounds down would put me in the "normal" weight range for my height, and I would dearly love to be Normal.
Okay, I'm excited. Now I'm off to finish my handful of cashews and my green pepper. Best to all of you running a race this weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's awesome! A half is really fun ~ definitely long enough that you feel like you really *did* something, something that not everyone can/wants to do, but not so long that you hurt yourself or need weeks to recover.
Congratulations on your 5k, too! You finished in fine time and form, and immediately started thinking about your upcoming 8k...then planning a half...hmmmm, I see a pattern here! Is a marathon really that far behind?
Post a Comment