So, I've been walking pretty steadily for the past two weeks, and last night I tried a few feeble jogging attempts, but I'm trying to hold myself back. My left knee is still acting up a little (old soccer injury) and I don't want to do anything that might hurt it. I decided last month that despite the fact that I have a lifetime of unathleticism behind me, I am going to be a runner. Or, more aptly, a jogger. I've poised myself for the Race For the Cure in October, and that gives me a little over 4 months to get ready.
What I have going for me: A steady ability to walk 3-5 miles at a go. Fierce determination. Lexapro. *g* A training partner (Yay Mom!). Good new running shoes. An amazing sports bra.
What I have against me: A left knee that gives me problems at times. A long history of being a sucky runner. Asthma (though controlled now, thankfully). At least 40 pounds of excess weight. The sneaking suspicion that I am simply incapable of being a runner.
But despite the odds, I've just decided to do it.
My friend S. is a high school running coach, and I he told me that one of the worst mistakes a beginner could make was to concentrate on speed in the early months. He said to concentrate simply on form and on racking up the distance before ever starting to increase speed, and it occurrs to me that that might be the reason I have never been a good runner. In the past, during high school sports or vague attempts to be athletic, I've always tried to keep up with the pack, or with my sister (5'11, VERY long legs) and I was always winded and always gave up. Maybe I just started wrong? For some reason that gives me hope that I can accomplish something. It's a very nice feeling. :)
I think I'm going to be using the Cool Running "Couch to 5K plan" though I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.
Friday, June 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment