Friday, August 05, 2005

Goals and Objectives, or "watch Renee waffle"

Suddenly, from the warm cocoon of my Oak Island vacation, I’ve been birthed back into the stressful reality of my real life. I’m back at work with two publications that must be finished before Monday afternoon (procrastinate much, Renee?) and a newsletter to finish before Tuesday, so naturally I’m updating my blog as a sort of horrible displacement activity.

Needless to say my week at the beach was terrific. I ate my weight in crab legs. I sat under an umbrella on the beach and still got burnt. I spent hours in the ocean and got sand up my bathing suit and in my ears. I painted my toenails before going to the beach and got sand stuck to them for days. I ate pounds of cherries and fresh peaches. I went for a walk on the beach every day. I was in every way relaxed and lazy. And now I’ve wrecked my zen-like calm by coming back to work.

I weighed this morning and it says I’m up 2 pounds, but I don’t believe this. For one, I’m still a bit sunburned, which always makes the body hold onto water, and for another I ran again last night for the first time in a week and I feel bloated this morning. So I’m choosing to soundly ignore the number. I’ll weigh again next Friday, which will make it one month from the last weigh-in. Dear God I HOPE that number has gone down a few pounds. I intend to really watch it this week just in case. I’ve found lately that while I haven’t been terrible, I have been basking in looking and feeling better and my contentment has gotten me off track. But I am so close to being under 200 that I can’t slack off now. I have a wedding to go to in mid September and I’d like to be at 196 before then. (Incidentally, 196 is the number at which I am officially “overweight” instead of obese. Joy! Rapture!)

I must say that for all of the running I’ve been doing it isn’t exactly burning the fat right off me. I’d expected that the exercise would spur my weight loss, but that hasn’t been true so far, and I’m six weeks in. Of course this could have more to do with me eating more because I suspected the exercise would help, or maybe I’m just in a legitimate stall, but with one thing and another I’ve been waffling around the 206 mark for a month and I’m tired of it. Tonight I’m going to cook some stuff for the week to have on hand and fill up my water pitcher again. I think I’ve been vacillating between eating too much on some days and not nearly enough on others and that’s screwing with my metabolism. For example yesterday I had a cup of yogurt and a fourth a cup of pecans and that’s it until 6:30 p.m. when I went to dinner. Naturally I ended up eating more at the Mexican restaurant, but that was my own fault for not packing my lunch on a day I knew I wouldn’t be able to get home at noon.

Which brings me to my updated goals for this month. Last spring I got into the habit of trying to gain one good habit and lose one bad habit per month, and though I haven’t posted them here I’ve been about 60% successful with them, which is pretty damn good. So this month’s “bad habit” goal is to stop throwing my clothes on the bed when I take them off. Don’t laugh, man, I have a serious aversion to hanging or folding my clothes. Inside I’m still the ten-year-old who threw her clothes onto the trundle mattress and shoved it under the day bed. My “good habit” goal is to either walk or do resistance training on my running off days. I need to get in the habit of staying moving even when I’m not running, and walking wouldn’t hurt my hip (and might even help).

I guess I’d better go do some work now. :whine:

No comments: