Well, I'm a mere four days away from the 5K, and am in full panic/training mode. I did 2 miles last night without a problem, just to reassure myself that I can run without walking. I wanted to do 3 or 3.5, but Dad and Adele were at my house waiting to watch a movie, so I trucked back home to be a hostess.
Dad is suddenly very into the idea of weight loss. Work is going really badly for him right now and I know he's anxious and sad about that, and I think weight loss is something he feels he can control. Adele called right after work to say that Dad wanted to take a big 5-mile walk last night, and we both panicked. My father has (controlled) epilepsy, not to mention terrible circulation/vein problems in his legs, and going from walking maybe a half mile a day to 5 miles was just asking for trouble. We finally coerced him into walking 2 miles with us, instead. I walked behind him with the dog, and he was walking so fast, trying so hard to exercise, and I thought - It's such an odd feeling to get older and have the feeling of "this man is superman, he can do anything" replaced by a great swamp of tenderness for his vulnerability. I hope he can continue to do this, I think it will be good for his sense of self.
As for me, I'm once again in pure Power mode. My eating has been fabulous, and I'm drinking enough water to slosh. I know in the great scheme of things a 5K is a small race, but it'll be the first race I've done since high school, and I just want to do the best I can (whatever that may be).
Tuesday, October 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm so excited for you! A race is too much fun. I'm not good at giving advice on these things ~ I'm generally a "whoops" kind of runner, meaning sometimes I accidentally do it right. From experience, I've found that drinking A LOT of water for a couple of days before the race, and then not very much before you actually race, is helpful (no cramping, no having to stop to go to the bathroom ~ no matter how "short" 5k is, it's a long ways to go having to pee) and also eat some carbs. Bread is good, a bagel or waffle that morning. Again, you don't need to "carbo load" because you're not going to be running for hours, but when I haven't eaten SOME kind of carb, I am SO RAVENOUS afterwards. Sometimes that hunger has lasted for days.
Finally, HAVE FUN!! You've worked hard and now you can enjoy it. I'll be cheering you on from here!
Post a Comment