Thursday, February 16, 2006

The new shoe report

Maybe it's just my lust for all things new and shiny, but I think my new kicks helped my run last night. I had an okay time - 3 miles plus 30 minutes of yoga cooldown afterward, and my hips feel perfectly fine this morning. My lungs, on the other hand, have been better. I guess it's really time to get my Advair inhaler script filled again. :sigh:

February was supposed to be my big month for weight loss, but I've been going through a terrible eating phase for some reason, and it hasn't even been high-quality eating. I won't say much about it other than please stay clear of Taco Hell's crunch wrap supreme if you value your sanity. They must lace the sour cream with pure heroin. I got so desperate for a reason to cook that I invited three friends over for dinner tonight just so I would a.) be forced to make something and b.) would have leftovers and therefore no excuse not to eat at home. I'm roasting a chicken tonight and making all the attendant comfort sides (lemon-butter green beans, rosemary potatoes, etc) and having blueberry tart for dessert, with a very small tart for myself. The real test will be this long weekend, when I'll be shut up in the house for days trying to finish my thesis. I'd really like to lose another 3-4 pounds this month, but that certainly isn't going to happen on my "grab what I can" diet. Honestly, I don't know why I can't seem to stick to my plans lately. Granted, late winter is always difficult for me and I find myself holding out for mid-March, when once again we'll start the upswing toward longer daylight hours, but this year has been particularly trying, and for that reason I'm looking forward to spring.

I've been thinking about my cross-training as well and plan to dust off my bicylce this weekend. I'm sure the tires need pumped, and the whole thing given a good once-over. Just the thought of biking along the tree-lined streets of my neighborhood on a cool spring evening with the smell of mud and new growth in the air is enough to get me through February.

Roll on, March.

No comments: