Well, I'm coming off 3 weeks without running, and every day that passes as I let my ankle heal is a day that my fear of running increases. I'm almost ready, but strangely enough I'm scared witless about getting back out there. I'm scared that I'll have lost 100% of my stamina, and that it will be like starting over. I'm scared that I'll reinjure myself and be forced to stop again. And I'm scared that maybe all of that means I'm not meant to be a "real" runner.
You know what that means, right? I have to get out there and do it.
To that end, yesterday I registered for my first half-marathon: Cincinnati's Flying Pig on May 7th.
I printed out my training schedule (which starts tonight), I dug out my running shoes, and I unearthed my long-sleeved shirts from the closet.
Oh God, I hope I can do it!
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You CAN do it! I have faith :)
I am running a half this weekend (if MY bum ankle cooperates) and if I can do it, anyone can!
Looking forward to hearing about your progress. What training schedule are you running?
There's no better way than to just jump back into it! You'd be surprised at how quickly your body adapts to running again. Just when I think I have to "start over", I'm surprised at my body's resilience.
Next week, I'm going to start my 10K training (yelp!).
Are you using one of Hidgeon's training plans?
I'm in the process of trying to figure out what training plan works best for me. Because I don't have a track nearby it's hard for me to figure out the highly mathematical versions that use a lot of splits/etc, and I tend to go for more "4 miles tonight, 4 tomorrow" kind of thing. I made a D in math in the second grade, if that tells you anything. *g* What plans are you both using?
I'm using Hal Higdon's plan for the 10K. Have you googled Hal? He's got some really good plans. Coolrunning.com has some good plans too.
Very interesting blog you have here! I also enjoy running but unfortunately I’m not the most motivated person when concerning exercise.
Post a Comment