Day 4 of my pseudo Half Training Program. I'm still looking around at actual plans, including the one in this month's issue of Runner's World. That's a three day a week plan, which freaks me out a bit, but I'm considering it! In the meantime, I'm just making it a point to get out there and run.
My time off did take its toll, and I was a bit depressed about that on Monday night. I did 3 miles, and while it didn't hurt my body my lungs definitely felt the difference. I tried to comfort myself by saying that was due to my head cold, but I think not. Tuesday night was better, and then last night was a step up from that, so in another week I think I should be back to normal (I hope!)
In the meantime, I'm trying to mess around with my diet. Getting enough to eat before a run isn't an issue now, since I'm doing no more than about 5 miles at a time, but I know that by the time the half comes around I need to have some stand-bys for quick energy, and since my stomach is tetchy I'll need plenty of time to get used to it. As it stands, I'm the kind of woman who can't eat or drink ANYthing in the morning until I get to work (just in case), and eating before a run makes me feel a little sick, which is a problem. I'm a night runner, usually around 8 p.m., which means that on days I work I have to eat right when I get home at 5 in order to have time for things to settle. I do run better on an empty stomach, but again, that's been fine with low mileage but I know it will change and that at some point I'm going to just wear out if I don't find something that works on my stomach during a run. I'm experimenting with different pre-running snacks, but even those have to fall into a certain category: few carbs (particularly HFCS carbs - because they make me SO sick - this takes out all of those fig newtons, jellybeans, etc which seem so convenient), not too much protein (because it makes me feel too full) and nothing too cruciferous (belchy! *g*). Last night I tried a boiled egg and half a banana on a half piece of toast with a smidge of butter and that seemed to work, but we'll see. I'm a skinflint from way back, and have never shelled out for any sports bars or gels or beans or that other stuff. The time might come later, but in the meantime it's all I can do to shell out big money for shoes and running clothes, so if I can find good options that I am likely to have around the house so much the better.
Also, for those of you who talk about eating oatmeal and banana and soy milk before running, all I can say is I AM GREEN WITH JEALOUSY. I wouldn't even make it to the end of the block if I ate that.
/tmi
I'm sure I'll update here later, for those of you on the edge of your (toilet) seats! ;)
Friday, February 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment